1996: Associate of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland
1998: Associate of the Chartered Institute of Taxation
2007: Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland
2008: Admitted as Member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
June 1992: Graduated from Queens University Belfast with 2.1 BSC (Hons) in Accounting
June 1993: Post graduate Diploma in Accounting at Queens University Belfast
Sept 1993: Joined the Belfast office of the international Chartered Accountants KPMG as trainee Chartered Accountant.
Sept 1995: Seconded to Dublin Office of KPMG for 6 months as supervising senior on the statutory audit of an Irish international bank.
Nov 1995: Passed Final Admitting Exam of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland.
April 1996: Joined the Corporate Tax Department of Belfast office of KPMG.
July 1997: Seconded to Dublin headquarters of French bank, Credit Lyonnais.
March 1998: Joined Belfast office of BDO Stoy Hayward Chartered Accountants.
May 1998: Passed Chartered Tax exams and admitted as an Associate of the Chartered Institute of Taxation.
Aug 2004: Joined FPM as Senior Tax Consultant
April 2005: Appointed Tax Director with FPM.
Jan 2007: Admitted as a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland.
April 2007: Promoted to Tax Partner in FPM.
Sept 2008: Admitted as a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners.
- Member of Board Of Governors of Ashgrove Nursery School, Newry.
- Member of Board of Governors of St. Ronan’s Primary School, Newry.
- Treasurer of St. Ronan’s Parents Association.
- Member of Dromore Diocese Finance Council.
- Writer for the Irish News regional newspaper weekly business section.
UK Corporate Taxation:
- Operational responsibility for the corporate tax compliance of FPM clients;
- Advising clients of their liability under Corporation Tax self assessment and preparation and submission of corporate tax returns;
- Year end corporate tax planning – Identifying tax planning opportunities for corporate/ personal tax clients;
- Group corporate tax planning and corporate cross border tax planning;
- Preparing forecasts and advising on the quarterly corporation tax payment regime;
- Negotiating/ corresponding with the Inspector in respect of corporate tax enquiries/ investigations
Irish Corporate Tax Compliance and Consultancy:
- Cross Border Tax Consultancy Advisor;
- Advising on the establishment of presence in Ireland for UK businesses.
Corporate Tax Consulting:
- Corporate Restructuring;
- Advising on the tax efficient extraction of funds from family companies;
- Advising on Purchase Of Own Shares and agreeing relevant clearances with Inland Revenue;
- Capital Allowances projects and reporting on available allowances to Inspector of Taxes
- Reporting and advising clients on tax relief available under the Enterprise Investment Scheme and Venture Capital Trust.
- Advising clients on Stamp Duty issues.
- Property tax Planning.
- Advising companies on their company car policy.
- Preparing share valuations for corporate tranasactions.
- Advising on all aspects of the Restricted Securities Legislation.
Employee Remuneration Planning:
- Significant expertise in share participation planning for companies.
- Advising companies on the feasibility and implementation of unapproved and approved share schemes.
- Advising international clients on the tax implications of flotation for resident and non-resident employee option holders.
- Corporate share incentive planning.
- Presenting employee communication workshops
- Advising clients on all aspects of the Enterprise Management Incentive Scheme.
- Advise clients with regard to inheritance tax planning and drafting effective wills.
- Incorporation of new companies for both Northern Ireland and the South of Ireland.
- Advising corporate entities wishing to establish a presence outside Northern Ireland.
- Management buy-outs.
- Advising on group reorganisations.
- Obtaining advance clearance from Inland Revenue on company reorganisations.
- Due diligence reporting.
- Significant experience negotiatiing with share valuations division of HMRC in establishing share valuation models.
- Preparation of share valuations for Capital Gains Tax/Inheritance Tax and Share Scheme Planning.
- Advising clients with regard to transfer pricing issues.
- Advising on controlled foreign company legislation.
- Advising on establish of share participation plans for non uk residents.